Being a mom is full of a lot of different jobs. Sometimes I find that I get so caught up on the cleaning, dishes, laundry, cooking part of motherhood that I really lack in the "fun mom" times. I'd had this idea for a long time and had always wanted to do it with my kids, but alas, the mundane daily routine would always get in the way. Then, my kids had some time off from school due to ice and snow (I know, weird) and we couldn't really go anywhere so I Carpe Diem'd, ceased the day. This project was a three step process.
Step One: All kids needed to draw and color a monster. It didn't matter what it looked like, it just had to be original and something each individual was proud of.
Step one seems to be going flawlessly. Several monsters were drawn actually. Monsters, drawing monsters, ahhh.
Step Two: Mom will use kids pictures and create a pattern while the kids pick out some fabric they think would work best for their monster. (no pictures of step two. Didn't think it was necessary)
Step Three: Mom will attempt to make kids monsters come to life. That's right, I tested my very ill sewing skills trying to make something from paper turn into something more tangible.
And now for your viewing pleasure. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Results!!!!
Emma's monster (see above)
Zion's Monster (see above)
Khyla's Monster (see above)
Ella's Monster (notice any resemblance? The kids were struggling with knowing what I was thinking when I said "Draw a Monster" So I drew this real fast for Ella, to give them an example of what it could look like. Zion liked it so much, he wanted his to be like it. Yet they are so different, and I actually LOVE his so much more. It has so much character.)
Wait, What? Step Four? But I said this was only a three step process. Oh all right.
Step Four: Sew some accessories for Khyla and Emma
A monster needs a more comfy place to sleep besides under the bed. Well, okay then, how about a sleeping bag?

And certainly everyone will think that this is a boy monster since it's blue, so we should definitely make a skirt don't you think? Of Course, we can't let that girl monster get teased. A skirt for the blue "GIRL" monster.
I'm not going to lie, I absolutely loved doing this with my kids. They loved doing it too, and were very impressed with my mad skills (?) They had no idea what I had in mind when they drew those monsters and now they are one of their prized possessions. I think that's because they are their own creation. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that we did it together. Now, they want to draw and draw and draw, hoping that mom will be inspired by one of their pieces and sew it up for them. But as the title says, "SOMETIMES, I'm cool" not always.

How creative!!! I am sooo impressed! You are a way fun mom!! Do you mind if I share this with my friend who has a crafty blog?? She would love this! I can't believe how big your kids are getting! I still see Emma as the little baby girl who liked to eat my plastic fruit! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing Sharee. I remember you telling me about these and I didn't think you ever finished them. Way to go with your mad sewing skills. I am super impressed. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mother!!
ReplyDeleteWHAT?! That's it... until you re-evaluate the meaning of "doing the bare minimum" don't talk to me again! You make all of us lazy moms who aren't cool at all look like giant pieces of poo!
ReplyDeleteno really, those are amazing, you really should do a Katy Monster... complete with manic crazy wild eyes and peanut butter stuck in her hair. Awesome.
i just wanted to mention that my word verification word was "FADIESS"... that just hurts, blogger.
ReplyDelete