Wednesday, March 25, 2009

We want Papa to make dinner again!

What do you get when you cross a mom who just doesn't feel like making dinner and a dad that is all too eager to fill in for the "slacker" mom? Let me tell you, you get kids who want the dad to "cook" more often. I'm sure you're thinking that is not possible, but it is. Please don't get me wrong. I am not a bad cook, but I do try and give my kids variety, things that are good for you, including some kind of vegetable every meal, and so on. With Mike, it's all about what sounds good at that moment. Well, at that moment, what sounded good to him was BANANA SPLITS! No, I'm not joking. For dinner he made banana splits. What could a person like me say about it. I was slacking in the mom department, and so I get what I deserve. Now to add on to that, the kids had never had a banana split before, so they were a little nervous when they heard that was for dinner. But all worry ceased when they gazed upon glorious mountains of "adrenaline in a dish."

Mike didn't know what I was worried about. He informed me that we were consuming some of the most important food groups, such as the dairy and fruits, which contain lots of important vitamins. Mike also made me aware of the fact that his mom used to make him banana splits for breakfast, so that made it better, cause he was just carrying on a tradition. (sure!)

The kids were in heaven. As you can see from the picture below. I just ask that you take notice to two things in this picture. First, notice Ella gazing dreamily at the bowl of deliciousness. Second, Khyla's eyes. They're saying SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR, MMMMM SUGAR, I HAVE SO MUCH SUGAR IN ME I CAN'T EVEN BLINK, MUST HAVE MORE SUGAR, MMMMMM GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!

And now for my confession. . . . I totally loved every last, melt in your mouth, indulgent spoonful of it. And I wanted to be the "cool" parent too, so I made Italian Sodas to go with it. I think dinner was a hit, but Emma's comment at the very end of the meal summed it up perfectly, "Well mom, my energy tank is definitely full." I don't think our family will ever be quite the same, as we are all in detox.


P.S. You may notice that there are no pictures of Emma. All the ones I took came out very blurry. That could be from one of two reasons. #1 She couldn't sit still long enough from her "high" or #2 I couldn't hold the camera still enough from my "high" or I guess a combination of the two.


2 comments:

  1. I love it and I loved Khyla's face. I noticed it even before you wrote about it. Did they ever go to bed? That is what I would have a problem with at my house. Glad you had a wonderful yummy night off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you and your bloggin madness... geeze i leave for a couple of weeks and come home to a gabillion posts (half of which are yours!) way to go, tiger, i'm excited to play catch up! (i'm starting here at the bottom and moving up... only logical right?)

    ok, 1) get mike over here and make me dinner 2)Kyhla's face... seriously, doubled over in laughter 3) i have a feeling i'm going to be laughing A LOT here in the next few hours (since it'll take me that long to get through all you posts! har har)

    ReplyDelete